Use almonds, hazelnuts or pistachios instead of cashews if you prefer
Prep time: 5 mins
- 1 cup (240ml) scraped finely shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup (80ml) finely chopped red bell peppers, steamed and seeded
- 1/3 cup (50g) chopped cashew nuts, toasted
- ½ teas spoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yogurt or crème fraiche (optional)
- 1 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander or parsley
Combine the carrots, bell peppers, nuts, salt and yogurt or crème fraiche in a mixing bowl.
Heat the ghee or oil in a small saucepan over moderate heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the mustard seeds and fry until they splutter, pop and turn grey. Pour this seasoning into the salad, add the fresh herbs and toss.